Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Interview with Megan Miranda!

So, for those of you who know me, you know I absolutely loved Megan Miranda's debut novel, Fracture. I loved it so much that I went to Megan's event at Vroman's (it's in Pasadena) afterwards, and my gosh, she is SO. FREAKIN'. AWESOME.

Ahem. Please excuse the excess fan-girling.

But anyway, the point is, Megan was kind enough to agree to an interview!!! So, behold...
1) If Delaney went to Hogwarts, which House would she be sorted into? What about you?

MM: To answer this question, I think maybe it would be necessary for me to read Harry Potter, yes? I can imagine the look you are giving me right now. I KNOW. I figure I’m already so late to the party, I might as well wait a few more years until I can read them together with my kids.

AHA! I would be shocked, except you just proved that not everyone in this world has yet read Harry Potter. That's quite an accomplishment, yanno. ;)

2) Delaney and Decker are one perfect couple who denied and struggled with their feelings for each other, at least at first. So tortuous! What type of romantic are you?

MM: I’m not really much of a romantic. In theory, at least. But I met my husband when I was 18. So I guess what I’m saying is: I’m a liar. But before that, I totally wasn’t a romantic.

Well, as they say, the best liars always make great storytellers...

3) I remember you said that Fracture was re-written quite a few times. Was there ever a time when you just wanted to give up? If so, how did you overcome that feeling?

MM: Honestly, not really. There were times I wanted to bang my head against the keyboard. Or the wall. And there were times I wished for the ability to magically transport the elusive and not-quite-formed ideas in my head to something practical and logical on the page. But I never wanted to just…stop.

And am I glad you didn't stop! :)

4) What's one thing that you can do that others usually can't?

MM: This totally isn’t useful or anything, but when I was in 6th grade, I memorized The Raven for a class project—and I’m pretty sure I can still do it. Okay, someone might have to help with the middle. But still. I can recite most of it…. half of it…. some of it. Does that count?

Oh yeah, that totally counts. I LOOOOVE Poe, so that is actually wickedly awesome.


5) If you could have your own theory/law/principle/postulate, what would it be called, and what would it be?

MM: The Extra Hour Principle. That, in times of need, an extra hour will magically be added to the day.

Best. Principle. Ever.

THIS or THAT:

1) Chocolate or vanilla?

MM: Chocolate

2) Metaphors or similes?

MM: Similes

3) Early bird or night owl?

Night owl. Except I get up early out of necessity. Small kids wake up with the sun…

Oh man, that sucks. I get up early for P.E., though (zero period P.E. My goodness), so maybe that makes us even...

4) Coffee or tea?

MM: Coffee. Lots (see above).

5) Reading or writing?

MM: Tough one, but I’m going to pick reading, just because I’ve been a reader longer than I’ve be a writer.

Thanks for having me!

Thank YOU, Megan, for being awesome! 

And that concludes our interview!


Megan Miranda was a scientist and high school teacher before writing Fracture, which came out of her fascination with scientific mysteries—especially those associated with the brain. Megan has a BS in biology from MIT and spent her post-college years either rocking a lab coat or reading books. She lives near Charlotte, North Carolina, where she volunteers as an MIT Educational Counselor. Fracture is her first novel.

Megan is represented by Sarah Davies at The Greenhouse Literary Agency


By the time Delaney Maxwell was pulled from a Maine lake’s icy waters by her best friend, Decker Phillips, her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead.

But somehow Delaney survived—despite the brain scans that show irreparable damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be fine, but she knows she’s far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can’t control or explain, Delaney now finds herself drawn to the dying, and when she meets Troy Varga, a boy who recently emerged from a coma with the same abilities, she is relieved to share this strange new existence. Unsure if her altered brain is predicting death or causing it, Delaney must figure out if their gift is a miracle, a freak of nature—or something else much more frightening…


Check out Megan:

About Fracture:

So, what do YOU think?
The Reviews News

1 comment:

Please do leave a response! I love hearing back from you all! :) I respond to comments here on the blog, so if you'd like me to reply to you via e-mail, just state so in your comment. Also, this is an award-free zone. I love and superbly appreciate all of your generous thoughts; I'm just terrible at returning your kind favor.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...